Home Pro Inspections LLC
Craig Maginsky
188 Shagbark Drive
Derby, CT 06418
(203) 912-0531

First Aid for Electrical Accidents

source: NASD

  • Disconnect the appliances or turn off the power if the person is undergoing electric shock.
  • Cover associated electric shock burns with a dry sterile dressing only.
  • Never touch a person undergoing electric shock or you too could become a victim.


 

First Aid for Electric Shock Victims


  1. Don’t touch them!
  2. Unplug the appliance or turn off the power at the control panel.
  3. If you can’t turn off the power, use a piece of wood, like a broom handle, dry rope or dry clothing, to separate the victim from the power source.
  4. Do not try to move a victim touching a high voltage wire. Call for emergency help.
  5. Keep the victim lying down. Unconscious victims should be placed on their side to allow drainage of fluids. Do not move the victim if there is a suspicion of neck or spine injuries unless absolutely necessary.
  6. If the victim is not breathing, apply mouth-to-mouth resuscitation. If the victim has no pulse, begin cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). Then cover the victim with a blanket to maintain body heat, keep the victim’s head low and get medical attention.

First Aid for Electrical Burn Victims

Electrical burns vary in severity depending upon: (1) how long the body is in contact with the electric current; (2) the strength of the current; (3) the type of current; and (4) the direction the current takes through the body. Often these burns are deep. There may be more than one area burned. One area may be where the current entered the body and another may be where it left. Electrical burn wounds may look minor on the outside, but could be severe on the inside.

If a person has received an electrical burn, check for shock and follow the steps outlined above. If the person is conscious and there are no signs of shock (such as being cold, clammy, pale and having a rapid pulse), begin treating the burned area. Do not apply grease or oil to the burn. Cover the burn with a dry, sterile dressing, but do not cool the burn. Keep the victim from getting chilled. Seek medical attention as soon as possible.

 

Share:  Add to Facebook Tweet This Add to Delicious Submit to Digg Stumble This

Our customers love us, and so will you! Here's what some of our customers have to say about Home Pro Inspections LLC:

 

Excellent...friendly, experienced and knowledgeable...witty, watches out for the buyer. 
 
- Bill R. in Derby, CT
 

 

Last updated on  Dec 23, 2012


  • About
  • Home
  • Services
  • Pricing
  • Schedule Online
  • Articles and Information
  • Air Quality in the Home
  • Alternative Buildings
  • Asbestos
  • Building a Home
  • Child Safety
  • Home Energy Audits
  • Conserving Energy
  • Biological Pollutants
  • Electrical Fires
  • Electrical Safety
  • Energy Efficiency
  • Energy Glossary
  • First Aid for Electrical Accidents
  • Formadehyde
  • FHA Rehabilitation
  • Grounding Electricity
  • Glossary
  • Historic Renovation
  • Homebuyers: Closing Costs
  • Home Buyers: Red Flags
  • Homebuyers: What Really Matters?
  • Home Safety
  • Home Safety Checklist
  • Homeowners Insurance
  • Hot Water Heaters
  • Household Hazards
  • Lead
  • Masonry Deterioration and Repair
  • Mold and Moisture
  • Mold and VoC's
  • Oil Tank Testing
  • Plumbing
  • Pool Safety
  • Reduce Your Energy Bills
  • Roofing
  • Remedies to Indoor Air Quality Problems
  • Residential Foundation Insulation
  • Septic Systems
  • Ten Things You Should Know About Mold
  • Termites
  • Winter Energy Tips
  • Ten Tips for Sellers
  • What is an Energy Audit?
  • Selecting a Home Inspector




  • Preparing Your House for a Home Inspection
    an interview with Craig Maginsky

    featured on ConnecticutForSale.com.